Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Challenge

The biggest challenge so far is breaking the bad habits.

Sodas: I'm currently Day 3 of no caffeine. While it seems easy to just say switch to diet coke and you'll be fine, I stand by my opinion that diet drinks are the most disgusting beverages on the planet. Yes, I've tried them all. I'm simply going to have to do this the hard way and give sodas up. So far I'm placating my addiction with Sprite. At the very least there are no dyes and no caffeine. And I'm limiting them to one or two per day. I'm partially convinced that half of my addiction is the carbonation part which has me eyeballing this carbonator pretty hard, but I doubt there's $200 under the couch cushions.

Better snacking: the biggest temptation in this department came yesterday in the potato chip aisle at Walmart. I was salivating at the mere thought of a Funyon, or a Frito or some Sunchips. But you can't eat them if you don't bring them home, right? Score one for me.

Eating breakfast: today was not a challenge at all since I skipped class because of the snow.

Meals were as follows,

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs (scrambled with smart balance), slice of whole wheat toast and a tomato.

Lunch: some turkey, a serving of Wheat Thins with a wedge of laughing cow cheese, and a banana with a dollop of organic peanut butter.

Healthy1 025

Snack: several midget size dill pickles, a couple of olives, and some grapes.

Dinner: homemade fish sandwich on wheat, spinach, a small corn on the cob with smart balance.

I've found throughout the day that keeping sugar free gum on hand really helps with the desire to snack. That's just something I didn't think to keep around when I was all about eating whatever I pleased.

Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment